In this article you will learn how to navigate the Microsoft HoloLens 2.
Use the Start menu and open apps on the HoloLens 2:
- To open the Start menu, tap the Start icon that appears on your wrist. You can also open it, by saying “Go to Start”. If you want to close the Start menu, use the same gesture or look at the menu and say “Close”.
- Inside the Start menu you’ll find a Pinned apps list and an All apps list. Select All apps to get to the list of applications.
- Scroll through the list, using your index finger. You do this by touching the menu and dragging upwards or downwards.
- Select the application you want to start. Depending on the type of app, two different things might happen.
- If it’s a 2D app, it will load in a new window which can be used like a touch screen.
- When opening a 3D application, the HoloLens 2 will open the 3D app launcher. Select the launcher to open the immersive application.
- If you want to close an application, follow these steps:
- In a 2D app window, simply press the Close button, located on the title bar.
- To close an immersive 3D application, use the Start gesture to open the Start menu. Now select the Home button to go back to the Start menu.
Use voice commands on the HoloLens 2:
On the HoloLens 2, you can do almost anything, using your voice. Here is a list of voice commands that you can use:
|Say this||To do this|
|“Select”||Say “select” to bring up the gaze cursor. Then, turn your head to position the cursor on the thing you want to select, and say “select” again.|
|“Go to Start”||Open the Start menu|
|“Close”||Close the Start menu|
|Say “Go to Start” to bring up the quick actions menu, then say “Mixed reality home.”||Leave an immersive app|
|“Hide hand ray” / “Show hand ray”||Hide and show hand ray|
|“What can I say?”||See available speech commands|
|“Restart device”||Bring up a dialogue to confirm you want to restart the device. You can say “yes” to restart.|
|“Shutdown device”||Bring up a dialogue to confirm you want to turn off the device. You can say “yes” to confirm.|
|“Brightness up/down”||Increase or decrease the display brightness by 10%.|
|“Volume up/down”||Increase or decrease the volume by 10%.|
|“What’s my IP address”||Bring up a dialogue displaying your device’s current IP address on the local network.|
|“Take a picture”||Capture a mixed reality photo of what you are currently seeing.|
|“Take a video”||Start recording a mixed reality video.|
|“Stop recording”||Stops the current mixed reality video recording if one is in progress.|