In this article you will learn how to activate developer mode on the Oculus Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro. To activate the developer mode, you must follow the steps below:
- Register as a Developer
- Enable developer mode
- Enable Developer Mode with the Oculus App
- Enable Developer Mode with the Meta Quest Developer Hub
Step 1: Register as a Developer
- Go to: https://developer.oculus.com/manage/organizations/create/
- Log in with your account (or set up an account). This can be a Meta, Facebook or Instagram account.
- If needed, enter a credit card or phone number. Click on Add next to the method you want to use. Once your account is verified, go back to the main developer page.
- Enter your developer organization’s name. If you are an app developer, enter your company’s name. If not, you can just type in whatever you want. Afterwards check the checkbox and click on Submit.
- Agree to the Non-disclouser agreement.
- Go to https://developer.oculus.com/manage/verify/ to verify your account. Here you need to either add a credit/debit card or enter the confirmation code you received to confirm your mobile number.
- You are now registered as a developer.
Step 2: Enable Developer Mode
To activate the developer mode on the Meta Quest 2 or Quest Pro, you can choose between two methods. Either you do it with the Oculus App or via the Oculus Developer Hub (Meta Quest Developer Hub).
Enable Developer Mode with the Oculus App
- Turn on your Meta Quest headset.
- On your phone, open the Oculus application.
- Click on the Menu icon, which is located in the lower-right corner of the app.
- Now click on Devices.
- Select your device. Wait until you see a green dot next to “Connected”. If it does not work, make sure Bluetooth is turned on and your headset and phone are close together.
- After selecting your device, scroll down and click on Developer Mode.
- Tap the toggle switch to activate developer mode.
Enable Developer Mode with the Meta Quest Developer Hub
- Go to https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/ts-odh/
- Download and install the Meta Quest Developer Hub (MQDH) on your PC or Mac. You will find the option to download for Windows or macOS under Install MQDH.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Launch the Meta Quest Developer Hub and click on Continue, in the lower-right corner.
- Log in with your Meta account.
- Connect your Meta Quest headset to your PC by using a USB-C cable.
- Click on Device Manager in the top left corner.
- Select Set Up New Device in the upper-right corner, then click on Set Up New Device in the drop-down menu again.
- Click on Next at the bottom of the pop-up.
- Select your Meta Quest headset from the menu.
- Click Next to log in with your MQDH account. Click on Next again.
- Connect your Quest headset to Wi-Fi.
- Click on the toggle switch next to Developer Mode.
- Click Next and then Finish to active developer mode your Quest 2 or Quest Pro.
You should now know how to activate developer mode on the Oculus Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro. To find unofficial apps installed on your Quest headset, go to the app library on your headset. Click on the drop-down menu in the top right corner and select Unknown Sources.