In this article we will show you how to get started with your new Valve Index headset.
In the box
- Valve IndexHeadset
- Integrated headphones
- Headset cable
- Connection cable for DisplayPort 1.2 and USB 3.0
- Power supply for the headset
- Regional power adapter(s) for the headset
- Headband (for smaller heads) for the headset
- Facial cushion for the headset
- 2 controllers (left and right)
- 2 carrying straps for controllers
- 2 USB charging cables for the controllers
- 2 SteamVR 2.0 base stations
- 2 4.5-meter power cables for the base stations
- 2 stands with mounting hardware for the base stations
- Regional power adapter(s) for the base stations
- Cleaning cloth
VALVE Index System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10, SteamOS, Linux
- Processor: Dual Core with Hyper-Threading
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD RX 480
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional Notes: Available DisplayPort (Version1.2) and USB (2.0+) Port required
- Processor: Quad Core+
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 or better
- Additional Notes: Available USB (3.0+) Port required for Headset Pass-Through Camera
How to connect the Valve Index to my PC?
- Download and install the SteamVR software
- Connect the headset to the PC using the provided USB and DisplayPort cables.
- Connect the power adapter to the headset and plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Launch SteamVR from your Steam library.
- Put on the headset and adjust it for a comfortable fit.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the room setup
- Launch the application you want to play.
How to pair the controllers with the Valve Index
- Turn on the Valve Index
- Turn on the Valve Index controllers by pressing and holding down the System button (power button).
- Wait for the controllers to enter pairing mode.
- Check if the controllers are within range of the Valve Index Headset
- If they do not connect automatically, navigate to the “Devices” tab and select “Pair Controller”.
- Once the controllers are paired, the LED on the controllers should turn solid green.
- Test the controllers by moving them and pressing buttons to see if it is connected.
How to change the IPD on the Valve Index?
- Put on the Valve Index headset and adjust it for a comfortable and snug fit.
- Locate the IPD adjustment slider on the bottom right side of the headset.
- Slide the IPD adjustment slider to match your IPD.
- Check the clarity of the virtual image by looking through the headset.
- If necessary, make additional adjustments until the virtual image is sharp and doesn’t strain your eyes.
- remember to write down or remember your IPD value for future use.
How to recenter the Valve Index
- While wearing the headset, press the System button, this is the small button that turns on the controllers and the SteamVR menu will pop up.
- While you are in the menu, direct your controller towards the small icon that resembles a person with a circular arrow pointing upwards, click on it.
- A timer will start to show when the headset will be recentered. While the timer runs, look and move yourself in the direction you want to be facing while playing games.
- To exit the SteamVR menu simply press the controller power button once more.
Which app stores are available on the Valve Index?
Steam offers the biggest library of games available. Make sure to check twice to see if the game has VR support.