In this article you will learn how to get started with your Microsoft HoloLens 2.
First steps with your HoloLens 2:
- Put on the HoloLens 2.
- Press the power button, located at the rear of the device to turn it on.
- Follow the instructions, displayed in the HoloLens 2.
- Choose a language.
- Calibrate your HoloLens 2 to your eyes according to the instructions on the screen.
- Make sure you see all 4 corners on screen. If done, press Next.
- Hold your head still and follow the ‘gems’, displayed on the screen with only your eyes.
- Choose the Wi-Fi network you want to connect with.
- Choose whether the HoloLens 2 is owned by the company or by yourself.
- Login to the Microsoft account you would like to use. If you haven’t made one yet, click here: https://signup.live.com/signup.
- Choose if you want to use speech recognition or not. We highly recommend using speech recognition for the full experience.
- Choose full diagnostic data or basic data to help improve the HoloLens 2. We recommend you to use basic data for privacy reasons.
- You are now ready to use the HoloLens 2. Enjoy your ride!
Use the Start menu and open apps on the HoloLens 2:
- To open the Start menu, tap the Start icon that appears on your wrist. You can also open it, by saying “Go to Start”. If you want to close the Start menu, use the same gesture or look at the menu and say “Close”.
- Inside the Start menu you’ll find a Pinned apps list and an All apps list. Select All apps to get to the list of applications.
- Scroll through the list, using your index finger. You do this by touching the menu and dragging upwards or downwards.
- Select the application you want to start. Depending on the type of app, two different things might happen.
- If it’s a 2D app, it will load in a new window which can be used like a touch screen.
- When opening a 3D application, the HoloLens 2 will open the 3D app launcher. Select the launcher to open the immersive application.
- If you want to close an application, follow these steps:
- In a 2D app window, simply press the Close button, located on the title bar.
- To close an immersive 3D application, use the Start gesture to open the Start menu. Now select the Home button to go back to the Start menu.
How to install an application on the HoloLens 2:
- Open the Start menu.
- Select the Microsoft Store app. When the store opens do one of the following:
- Use the search bar to look for applications.
- Select essential apps or apps made specifically for the HoloLens from one of the categories.
- On the top right, select the “…” button and choose My Library to view all of your previously purchased applications.
- Select Get or Install on an application’s page to install/purchase an application.
You should now know how to install an application on the Microsoft HoloLens 2.
How to take photos on the HoloLens 2:
Option 1: Press the Volume up and Volume down buttons at the same time. This can be done at any time. Option 2: Use your voice. Say “Take a picture.” Option 3: Open the Start menu and select the Camera icon. Air tap to take photos. All pictures will be saved to your device.
How to record videos on the HoloLens 2:
Option 1: Press and hold the Volume up and Volume down buttons at the same time until a 3 second countdown begins. To stop recording, press both buttons simultaneously again. Option 2: Use your voice. Say “Start recording”, to stop recording say “Stop recording”. Option 3: Open the Start menu and select the Video icon. To stop recording, open the Start menu again and select the Video icon. The video will be saved to your device.
Use voice commands on the HoloLens 2:
On the HoloLens 2, you can do almost anything, using your voice. Here is a list of voice commands that you can use:
|Say this||To do this|
|“Select”||Say “select” to bring up the gaze cursor. Then, turn your head to position the cursor on the thing you want to select, and say “select” again.|
|“Go to Start”||Open the Start menu|
|“Close”||Close the Start menu|
|Say “Go to Start” to bring up the quick actions menu, then say “Mixed reality home.”||Leave an immersive app|
|“Hide hand ray” / “Show hand ray”||Hide and show hand ray|
|“What can I say?”||See available speech commands|
|“Restart device”||Bring up a dialogue to confirm you want to restart the device. You can say “yes” to restart.|
|“Shutdown device”||Bring up a dialogue to confirm you want to turn off the device. You can say “yes” to confirm.|
|“Brightness up/down”||Increase or decrease the display brightness by 10%.|
|“Volume up/down”||Increase or decrease the volume by 10%.|
|“What’s my IP address”||Bring up a dialogue displaying your device’s current IP address on the local network.|
|“Take a picture”||Capture a mixed reality photo of what you are currently seeing.|
|“Take a video”||Start recording a mixed reality video.|
|“Stop recording”||Stops the current mixed reality video recording if one is in progress.|